Saturday, March 03, 2007

What drives bloggers?

Blogging was a completely new thing for me when starting this course in English. I had heard the term mentioned but not bothered to look into it. This since I in my spare time have chosen to limit my time in front of the computer. I think it will take some time before I start a blog that is "genuinely mine".

However, what have I found to be characterizing a blogger? Judging by the vast flora of topics that are discussed in a web log the blogger could be anyone. But still I think that bloggers have two typical features. First they have a stronger urge than others to be heard, to share and exchange knowledge, ideas and opinions with others. Secondly they consider Internet as the most convenient and useful medium to do so.

But what is then the actual trigger to start a blog? I guess the reasons could be many. The first that comes to my mind is that you would like to share your opinions with others and feel that the immediate surrounding is not enough. You would like to extend further to receive more and different input. Then a blog is a good way to communicate.
It seems to be rather common that celebrities, journalists and others that also have the opportunity to speak their mind in newspapers and other media also start blogs. The reason for this I think is the more informal and direct publishing. In a blog they can elaborate more than they are allowed to do on TV or in an newspaper article since there you have a limited time or a certain amount of lines that you can fill. In the blog you can ramble on as you like with no editors or producers to set the limits! But also, of course, it must be really interesting to get their readers reactions more directly than what is the case if you express yourself in TV, newspaper or a magazine.
I also get the impression that in certain circles it is sort of "hip" to have a blog. Here it is the actual blogging that is the purpose not the content. They strive to add interesting effects and to get a really stylish design. This group are more interested in blogging in a technical sense but somehow they any way fit into my description of a typical blogger; they want to share their interest and are also eager to receive others reactions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home